Joining the Team - Logistics and Travel - FAQ - Practices - Policies - Email Archive - History
mathleague.org is partnering with Star League's Bay Area A-Star program this year to provide training and practice space for our students. Thanks to A-Star for it's support.
ARML 2017 Information - Northern California and San Francisco Bay Area
ARML (American Regions Math League) is the premier national competition for math teams, and is the largest, most prestigious, and probably most fun on-site math competition in the United States. Mathleague.org organizes several teams of 15 talented math students to represent Northern California and the Bay Area at ARML each year. We will travel to the University of Nevada-Las Vegas for ARML 2017, leaving on Thursday, June 1st, and returning on Sunday, June 4th. (We can help students with SAT conflicts arrange alternate test dates--see the FAQ.)
The SFBA/NorCal team has an illustrious history as one of the premier teams in ARML, including seven national championships. Read more of our team's history here.
The links on this page have all the information you'll need about the team. For general information about the ARML competition, check out the ARML website at www.arml.com. For other questions about the SFBA/NorCal team, the coaching staff can be reached at email@example.com. However, please read the FAQ before emailing.
We look forward to seeing you at ARML 2017!
Joining The Team
- Qualifications: Although we will organize our top students into two or three "elite" teams, ARML is open to any student who lives in our geographic region, and no tryout or application process is needed. We will organize students not selected for elite teams into several "regional" teams with other students from nearby schools. All team members will be able to participate fully in the competition.
- Cost: The total cost of the trip this year will be $350, which covers contest registration, roundtrip transportation to Las Vegas, housing at UNLV, two meals on Saturday, and a team t-shirt. You are responsible for other meals and any spending money. Many school districts will cover all or part of a studentís expenses to attend ARML; feel free to seek funding from your district or school, and contact us for an official letter to assist in doing so.
- Deadlines: Students trying out for elite teams should sign up and pay by April 9th. Spots on regional (non-elite) teams will be on a first-come-first-served basis until approximately May 1st.
- Signing up, payment, and permission slip: Follow instructions at this link. Be sure to read the policies and FAQ first.
- Chaperones: Every year, a few parent chaperones accompany the team to Las Vegas. If you are interested in doing so, follow the instructions for signing up. Coaching staff will contact you.
Mandatory Reading For Team Members
Before joining the team, you MUST read the two documents below.
- Policies: This covers details like how to arrange alternate transportation, team selection procedures, and what happens if you decide not to go to ARML.
- FAQ: Covers a number of common questions about ARML, team policies, and logistics.
Preparing For ARML
- Practices: Attending practice is an important part of the ARML experience; and as such students should plan to attend weekly practices throughout April and May. Practice schedules will be posted online and announced by email.
- Elite team tryouts will be held at practices. We will begin selecting teams on April 9th and continue until all elite team spots are filled, so students registering after this date will be at a disadvantage. See the Policies for more information about team selection.
On The Road
- This year's ARML meet is scheduled for June 2nd and 3rd at the campus of the University of Nevada - Las Vegas. Unless other arrangements are approved by the coaching staff, students will leave for ARML around midday on Thursday June 1st and return on Sunday June 4th, arriving back in the Bay Area in the evening. Specific transportation details will be finalized once we know how many students will be attending.
- Logistics: Read this page for detailed information on travel and other aspects of the ARML trip.