Please note: ARML this year will be May 29 and 30. Beyond that we have not yet updated our website with details about this year's ARML competition. Please do not sign up for ARML 2019, pay for ARML 2019, or make any travel plans based on the ARML 2019 dates. We plan to have details about ARML 2020 up by March 1, at which point we will start accepting registrations and payments.
Joining the Team - Logistics and Travel - FAQ - Practices - Policies - Email Archive - History
mathleague.org is partnering with AlphaStar Academy's A-Star program this year to provide training and practice space for our students. Thanks to A-Star for its support.
ARML 2019 Information - Northern California and San Francisco Bay Area
ARML (American Regions Math League) is the premier national competition for math teams, and is the largest, most prestigious, and probably most fun on-site math competition in the United States. Mathleague.org organizes several teams of 15 talented math students to represent Northern California and the Bay Area at ARML each year. We will travel to the University of Nevada-Las Vegas for ARML 2019, leaving on Thursday, May 30th, and returning on Sunday, June 2nd. This year's contest conflicts with an SAT test date, so students who had planned to take the June SAT will need to make alternate arrangements for a test date.
The SFBA/NorCal team has an illustrious history as one of the premier teams in ARML, including eight national championships. Read more of our team's history here.
The links on this page have all the information you'll need about the team. For general information about the ARML competition, check out the ARML website at www.arml.com. For other questions about the SFBA/NorCal team, the coaching staff can be reached at email@example.com. However, please read the FAQ before emailing.
We look forward to seeing you at ARML 2019!
Joining The Team
- Qualifications: Although we will organize our top students into two or three "elite" teams, ARML is open to any student who lives in our geographic region, and no tryout or application process is needed. We will organize students not selected for elite teams into several "regional" teams with other students from nearby schools. All team members will be able to participate fully in the competition.
- Cost: The total cost of the trip this year will be $390, which covers contest registration, roundtrip transportation to Las Vegas, housing at UNLV, two meals on Saturday, and a team t-shirt. Please note that ARML has notified us that their costs will increase substantially this year, so we are forced to increase our prices as well. You are responsible for other meals and any spending money. Many school districts will cover all or part of a studentís expenses to attend ARML; feel free to seek funding from your district or school, and contact us for an official letter to assist in doing so.
- Deadlines: Students trying out for elite teams should sign up and pay by April 14th. Spots on regional (non-elite) teams will be on a first-come-first-served basis until approximately May 1st.
- Signing up, payment, and permission slip: Follow instructions at this link. Be sure to read the policies and FAQ first.
- Chaperones: Every year, a few parent chaperones accompany the team to Las Vegas. If you are interested in doing so, follow the instructions for signing up. Coaching staff will contact you.
Mandatory Reading For Team Members
Before joining the team, you MUST read the two documents below.
- Policies: This covers details like how to arrange alternate transportation, team selection procedures, and what happens if you decide not to go to ARML.
- FAQ: Covers a number of common questions about ARML, team policies, and logistics.
Preparing For ARML
- Practices: Attending practice is an important part of the ARML experience; and as such students should plan to attend weekly practices throughout April and May. Practice schedules will be posted online and announced by email.
- Elite team tryouts will be held at practices. We will begin selecting teams on April 14th and continue until all elite team spots are filled, so students registering after this date will be at a disadvantage. See the Policies for more information about team selection.
On The Road
- This year's ARML meet is scheduled for May 31st and June 1st at the campus of the University of Nevada - Las Vegas. Unless other arrangements are approved by the coaching staff, students will leave for ARML in the morning on Thursday May 30th and return on Sunday June 2nd, arriving back in the Bay Area in the evening. Specific transportation details will be finalized once we know how many students will be attending.
- Logistics: Read this page for detailed information on travel and other aspects of the ARML trip.