Please note: ARML this year has been canceled and replaced with an ARML Local contest that will not involve any travel or any fees. Please disregard any information on these pages about traveling to ARML or paying fees. We will be holding free online practice sessions every Saturday and Sunday until Memorial Day to prepare for ARML Local and otherwise provide an opportunity for students to congregate and work on their math skills. If you are interested in being part of our community this year, please fill out the Information Sheet so we can add you to our email list and send you announcements and meeting links. Your responses to the "trip details" and "practices" sections do not matter, except you still have to put a 5 in the last blank on the form. :)
Joining the Team - Logistics and Travel - FAQ - Practices - Policies - Email Archive - History
mathleague.org is partnering with AlphaStar Academy's A-Star program this year to provide training and practice space for our students. Thanks to A-Star for its support.
ARML 2020 Information - Northern California and San Francisco Bay Area
ARML (American Regions Math League) is the premier national competition for math teams, and is the largest, most prestigious, and probably most fun on-site math competition in the United States. mathleague.org organizes several teams of 15 talented math students to represent Northern California and the Bay Area at ARML each year. We will travel to the University of Nevada-Las Vegas for ARML 2020, leaving on Thursday, May 28th, and returning on Sunday, May 31st.
The links on this page have all the information you'll need about the team. For general information about the ARML competition, check out the ARML website at www.arml.com. For other questions about the SFBA/NorCal team, the coaching staff can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org. However, please read the FAQ before emailing.
We look forward to seeing you at ARML 2020!
Joining The Team
- Qualifications: Although we will organize our top students into two or three "elite" teams, ARML is open to any student who lives in our geographic region. We will organize students not selected for elite teams into several "regional" teams with other students from nearby schools. All team members will be able to participate fully in the competition.
- Cost: The total cost of the trip this year will be $390, which covers contest registration, roundtrip transportation to Las Vegas, housing at UNLV, two meals on Saturday, and a team t-shirt. You are responsible for other meals and any spending money. Many school districts will cover all or part of a student's expenses to attend ARML; feel free to seek funding from your district or school, and contact us for an official letter to assist in doing so.
- Deadlines: Students hoping to earn a spot on one of the elite teams should sign up and pay by April 18th for priority consideration. Spots on regional (non-elite) teams will be on a first-come-first-served basis until approximately May 1st.
- Signing up, payment, and permission slip: Follow instructions at this link. Be sure to read the policies and FAQ first.
- Chaperones: Every year, a few parent chaperones accompany the team to Las Vegas. If you are interested in doing so, follow the instructions for signing up. Coaching staff will contact you with more information.
Mandatory Reading For Team Members
Before joining the team, you MUST read the two documents below.
- Policies: This covers details like how to arrange alternate transportation, team selection procedures, and what happens if you decide not to go to ARML.
- FAQ: Covers a number of common questions about ARML, team rules, and logistics.
Preparing For ARML
- Practices: Attending practice is an important part of the ARML experience; and as such students should plan to attend weekly practices throughout April and May. Practice schedules will be posted online and announced by email.
- Elite team tryouts will be held at practices. We will begin selecting teams on April 18th and continue until all elite team spots are filled, so students registering after this date will be at a disadvantage. See the Policies for more information about team selection.
On The Road
- This year's ARML meet is scheduled for May 29th and 30th at the campus of the University of Nevada - Las Vegas. Unless other arrangements are approved by the coaching staff, students will leave for ARML in the morning on Thursday May 28th and return on Sunday May 31st, arriving back in the Bay Area in the evening. Specific transportation details will be finalized once we know how many students will be attending.
- Logistics: Read this page for detailed information on travel and other aspects of the ARML trip.